quinta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2012

The Shining


Let me just start by saying that this was not only my first horror book but also my first novel by Stephen King. This book had been sitting on my bookshelf for years but last week I finally decided it was time to get out of my comfort zone and read something different, from a genre and an author that I didn't know that well.

I think there was something addictive about this book because there were moments when I couldn't put it down! I loved how the plot kept building up and getting more complex and how the characters developed. But I also have to mention the hotel where the whole story took place because, for me, that was one of the strongest points of the book;  I think it was really interesting the way this place was almost personified - to a certain extent, it actually was - and how it influenced the characters' behavior. There were times I felt that the hotel was practically one of the main characters of the book!!

I have to say that even though we had well written characters with very specific traits and complicated backgrounds that made them stood out, what really surprised me was how powerful this family was as a unit, how they tried to overcome, together, the harsh period they were going through, how they hoped for better times.

I haven't seen the movie adaptation yet but I'm planning on doing it soon, especially because I've heard great things about it; however, some people have pointed out that it's different from the book but just as good, so I'm really curious about it.

I have to say, overall this book was a surprise because I wasn't expecting to like it  as much as I did! There were some creepy moments that actually scared me but I wanted to know - so badly - what was going to happen next that I just kept going. I would definitely recommend this book. 

4 out of 5 stars


I selected this post to be featured on my blog’s page at Book Review Blogs.

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário