terça-feira, 15 de janeiro de 2013

La Mécanique du Coeur

Today I'll be reviewing one of the books that I had on my bookshelves waiting for me to pick it up (fortunately it didn't have to wait that long).

La Mécanique du Coeur - also known as The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart - tells us the story of Jack, a boy who was born on the coldest day ever with a frozen heart. In order for him to survive, Madeleine - the midwife - grafts a cuckoo clock to his heart; according to her, he will have to lead of life free from strong emotions, including love. However, when Jack meets a little singer from Andalucía things change ...

Jack is an interesting character. Even though he's a teenager, he still seems like a small boy when it comes to his dreams and his expectations; he's a dreamer and his dreams seem to give him a sense of purpose, they direct his life and determine what he does and how he does it. Because of that, he ends being somewhat naive and childlike - here and there, not too often - but in a way that makes us empathize with him; he also has this amazing ability to love unconditionally and with such tenderness that warmed up my heart.

What was also really interesting about this book was the way the human heart - has an organ and has the source of love (and the problems that come with it) - was "portrayed"; it demanded our attention, almost as if it were another character in the story.

I think this was a great way to start my readings for 2013. This book was different from what I had read until now, because it's not your typical love story where everything is pretty and has an happy ending; it's kind of gothic and bittersweet. I enjoyed reading this book because it made me laugh, it made me think and the fact that the band Dyonisos - in which the author is the lead singer - created an entire album dedicated to this book was like the cherry on top of the cake. Listening to the CD was a great bonus because it's like the story is being sung to you and you feel a lot more engrossed by the book. Loved the whole experience.

4 out of 5 stars




0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário