sábado, 11 de maio de 2013

Legend by Marie Lu

Synopsis

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war
with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. 
(from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I hadn't included it on my reading plans for this year but this was my book club's pick for the month of May so I had to read it.

I had already read the synopsis but it hadn't struck me as particularly appealing and the fact that it was set in a world where the military seemed to play such a big role just added to my general lack of interest on the book.

I still believe that the book's premise isn't fascinating but I liked the way it was developed and the fact that it was fast paced and action packed. The fact that there was a little bit of mystery was quite enjoyable but there was also a great focus on the military aspect of the plot and that didn't really work for me, especially because of the way the characters acted - they would follow orders without questioning them and they would often resort to violence because to them that seemed the best course of action to get (basically) everything they needed.

As for the characters, I think Day was my favorite. He hadn't been shaped like the other characters (that would blindly follow the Republic's ideology) and he kind of seemed like a Robin Hood of modern times. He was quite clever, cautious, fully dedicated and loyal to his family and to the people that mattered the most to him. Overall a well written character. 

I wasn't the biggest fan of June especially in the beginning; she was just  another soldier among others who would follow orders as soon as they were barked by her superior, she didn't bother to question the Republic's ideology and actions or even what happened to the people living in the slums. During the first part of the book she didn't seem as rebellious was we were led to believe by the first chapter but that changed on the second half of the story, where she developed in an interesting - yet somewhat predictable - way.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the book. At first I was a bit skeptical and I didn't understand why people were raving it so much, but after finishing it I kind of see what they mean. I still believe this book isn't that riveting or different when compared with other YA dystopian novels, using some of the formulas that have become popular within this genre - two teenagers that weren't supposed to meet end up liking each other,  the opposition to the current ruler and political system, a society that doesn't question what is going on and, as usual, poor people from the slums as the victims of the government's oppression.

However, I'm not going to say that this book was entirely predictable - because it wasn't - or that it wasn't a quality reading - because it was! Marie Lu's writing style is quite engrossing and the fact that we had access to both Day and June's perspectives presented us with a fuller vision of what was going on and made the story a lot more interesting. Also, we are left with some information that is clearly relevant for the rest of the story but, at the same time, some intriguing questions remain, living us feeling a bit curious about the next books. Hope to read the read the rest of this trilogy by the end of this year. The second book - Prodigy - is already out and the final installment - Champion - will be out in November 5th 2013.

I give this book 3,5 stars.

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

My "Legend" book arrived this week and I intend to read it next month. I liked your review specially because everyone seemed crazy about this book and that made me suspicious:P Now I have realistic expectations about the book.
Kisses**

Unknown disse...

Thank you ;) I really didn't understand why people were so fascinated by this book; it's good and worth reading but I've read better ones.

Hope you enjoy your book ;) kisses

Enviar um comentário